Sunday, April 22, 2012

Webcomic Potential

Before I started Think Before You Think, I wasn't a big fan of webcomics. I'm still not a big fan of webcomics, although I've found a few that I really like now. That was one of the main reasons why I started TBYT - because I couldn't find anything like it. I wanted to create something I liked that didn't exist yet. The way I saw it, most webcomics fit into certain genres that didn't appeal to me much - fantasy, video games, fake manga, etc. I saw a lot of potential that didn't seem to exist yet in comics. And I actually got a lot of my inspiration from TV.

There's a lot of advice floating around the internet about how to make webcomics. I don't really like advice much, especially as applying to something so my own as my comic. There's all this stuff out there about writing and plots. I never liked plots much. They tend to either follow a predictable pattern, or be way too complicated for me. That's one thing that makes Questionable Content unique - it progresses, but it doesn't suffer from this plot thing.

They say not to break the fourth wall. I think some of the most interesting ideas come from breaking the fourth wall, but they say that because so many people do it in a clich├ęd fashion. When I made my Lifehouse fan comic, I ripped out the fourth wall and twisted it back over itself, and made it into a fourth wall mobius strip.

I think sometimes following advice inhibits people's creativity. Like they're looking for a way they're "supposed" to do things when really it might be best to do the opposite. When it comes to webcomics, I don't think you need to think too far outside the box to be original.

No comments:

Post a Comment