Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Abnormal Things in Everyday Life

I recently published an article on Squidoo about Comics Like Questionable Content. It highlights some of the characteristics that I like about Questionable Content (one of my favorite webcomics). One of the characteristics I pointed out was the blending of abnormal things into everyday life, such as, in the case of QC, anthropomorphic robots. It's not a comic about robots — it's a comic about life. It just so happens that robots exist, and it seems normal.

I like it when comics have this characteristic. I'm not a huge fan of fantasy comics that exist in fantasy worlds, but I do like it when a real life comic has a small fantasy element to it. It's the same thing I do in Think Before You think. Although the comic is mainly about mind-reading, it is set in a normal universe where only one person can read minds, and everything else is just normal life situations. This concept, where the main character is the only one who has a special power and everyone else is normal, is something I've seen often in TV shows, like Pushing Daisies and The Secret World of Alex Mack. But I don't find it so frequently in webcomics. Most comics I come across are either full fantasy comics, where everything is weird, or real life comics where everything is normal.

Among the other comics I brought up in my article is Selkie, a comic about an alien girl who gets adopted by a single guy. At least, I assume she's an alien. The subject never really gets talked about much, it's just evident that she's different from everyone else, and she doesn't look human.



Another comic I mentioned was Hot Mess, about high school girl with imaginary animal friends that represent different aspects of her personality and follow her around everywhere, providing commentary on everything that's going on. It's not so much a supernatural element, since it's all just imaginary, kind of like Calvin and Hobbes, but it's still a weird addition to the comic.

Like I said, I haven't come across very many webcomics like this. Do you know of any other ones that I didn't mention here? Please comment.

6 comments:

  1. There's "Sandra & Woo" which would fit in pretty well with what you're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oddly enough,even though I seem to enjoy these types of stories (Orange Road among others I can't seem to recall right now) I often get a little iritated at the logical inconsistancy of the situation. If one person has the ability, then shurly others must have it. If not, then a rather odd event becomes down ritght outragious. But that's just one mad mans outragious opinion. Thanks for the comics, and the laughs! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, I know of one strip in particular where the world is normal, there just happen to be spirits in the cemetery next door. Mind you, they're perfectly normal too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yeah, School Spirit is a good one too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure this isn't quite what you were aiming for, but . . .
    http://www.hellinccomic.com/

    ReplyDelete